Pages



Friday 17 July 2015

Red Lipstick

"Beauty, to me, is about being comfortable in your own skin.... That, or a kick-ass red lipstick" Gwyneth Paltrow 


For me, this is so true, a good red lipstick can pull an entire look together. It has the power to give so much confidence, something that should never be underestimated. For decades, red lips have evoked power and class and for me will always be timeless. The search for the right red lipstick is a difficult one, so i have listed below some of my favourites. I gathered a couple with different formulas, some matte, some sheer and glossy.
So here goes!

Chantecaille Lip Chic 'Amaryllis'

Chantecaille Lip Chic 'Amaryllis'
This stunning colour from Chantecaille (Mecca Cosmetica) is perfect for anyone who wants to rock the red lip but isn't quite ready to commit to a crazy vibrant statement lip. Its fairly sheer but still a perfect red in my mind and would suit any completion. Obviously because its not a super thick lipstick its staying power isn't perfect but definitely great for a beginner looking to experiment with a bold lip.As you can see its a slightly blue under toned red but fairly sheer. Overall, i love this product for a pop of colour and is a great formula




Without Flash - Natural Day Light

With Flash

Part of Chantecailles 'Lip Chic' Range 
Available Here AUD$50






Chantecaille Lip Stick 'Cerise'

Chantecaille 'Cerise' Lip Stick
This is another Chantecaille product (I love their makeup, their lip products are so moisturising and smell incredible). Whilst its similar in colour to Amaryllis its a much thicker consistency and far more pigmented. I would classify this as a more true classic red. Whilst from the tube it is quite thick to apply and a lip brush would probably help, it is the most gorgeous rich pigmentation and creamy consistency and definitely a go to for a classic red. It is a little more pricey but lasts ages, but definitely a more high end product



With Flash
Without Flash - Natural Day Light

Part of Chantecaille's "Lip Stick" Range
Available Here AUD$50





L'Oreal Colour Riche Extraordinaire Lip Colour - 304 'Ruby Opera'

 
With Flash

Without Flash - Natural Day Light
Whilst this lipstick is similar in pigment and thickness to Chantecaille 'Amaryllis' it is completely different in consistency. Its super glossy and ultra shiny and very buildable in colour, you can go from a thin sweep of colour or a slightly thicker layer like I did. Whilst its a gorgeous colour and photographs well it is a tad sticky. It does dry a little but slightly irritating on a windy day and getting hair stuck! Overall, the pigmentation is lovely and the soft doe foot applicator applies like a dream! No lip brush needed.
I do love the colour but i would say its a little bit more of a pinky red rather then a true red. Would work very well with any skin tone as its so sheer it matches your own lip and skin shade very well

Available here AUD$21.95



L'Oreal Colour Riche -  377 'Perfect Red'

 This is probably one of my favourite lip sticks in terms of consistency and pigmentation, it lasts really well and is super creamy and applies like a dream. I love the gold packaging and the shape of the lipstick as it fits the shape of the lip brilliantly. The only issue I have is the name, whilst it is a stunning colour I wouldn't call it the 'perfect' red as in person its far more orange based. Whilst I love this and it does suit my skin tone I don't think it would suit all skin tones, especially quite pale ones or pink based skin tones as a blue based red would match better.

With Flash
With No Flash - Natural Day Light
It also has a slight golden sheen to it which I personally love
as it looks awesome in photos but if you are looking for a matte lipstick this wouldn't
be the one. That being said, it is perfect for when i want to look a little more tan

Available Here AUD$21.95

Revlon Lipstick - 675 'Volcanic Red'
 This lovely colour is very similar in consistency to the L'Oreal 'perfect red' in that it is very richly pigmented and insanely creamy. Because of this it sits beautifully on the lips and I think is a truer red, in that it is neither blue or orange based but just the perfect quintessential red lipstick. I have always loved Revlon's packaging and this is no exception. Whilst this lipstick is very thick, I would still recommend a lip liner just to ensure it doesn't bleed through out the day and to keep a cleaner, sharper line.


With Flash
Without Flash - Natural Day Light
I personally use a lip brush just to keep the shape perfect but you could just apply it straight from the tube. I also love that it doesn't stain the lips after removing it. Overall a brilliant product and a long time favourite!
Unfortunately this product is discontinued, but a Revlon Dupe is 'Certainly Red' of 'Fire & Ice'

Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - 'Cruella'

This is BY FAR my favourite lip pencil ever created for a matte lip. It is super creamy and easy to draw on - no lip liner needed, and has serious staying power. Whilst it is a little more berry then red (for a true berry - try Damned, for a brighter red - try Dragon Girl) I think it works really well with my skin tone. Nars makes lip pencils in 3 different formulas, the others being more of a gloss, the other like a typical lip stick, but this formula is definitely my favourite. I love the shape of the pencil and is super easy to use but be sure to have a very big pencil sharpener as they work best when sharp. A little tip - if you want a super sharp line then
With Flash
Without Flash - Natural Day Light
put it in the fridge for an hour or so then sharpen so it doesn't go blunt and sharpens easier.
Definitely a must buy!
Available Here AUD $39




Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick - 'Beso'

Natural Light - Not Flash
 This is hands down my ultimate go to lipstick. I am a massive fan of the liquid lipsticks that apply like a light cream but set into a matte lipstick. The doe foot applicator makes it super easy to apply and it lasts FOR HOURS! I have worn this during the day, to dinners, going out etc. and it pretty much always stays. It does last better with a little lip liner and it does come off a little if you're eating a lot, especially something like soup or pasta that hits your lips a lot but other than that it has incredible staying power. Whilst it isn't a true red, its a little darker once set, I love the colour and the way it completes any makeup look!
With Flash
They aren't as pricey as some other high end lipsticks so I would definitely add this to your collection. I don't own any of the other colours in this range but I have tried them and I adore the formula!
A must by and favourite!
Available Here AUD$32

I hope you all liked this post and that it helps you in the search of your ultimate red lipstick!
Let me know in the comments what other posts you would like to see in the future.
Thanks for reading!
Anya xx



No comments :

Post a Comment